CODE OF ETHICS
This Code of Coaching
Ethics has been developed to clarify and define standards of professional,
ethical, and moral behavior from coaches affiliated with the Montana Youth
Soccer Association (MYSA).
I - RESPONSIBILITIES TO PLAYERS
1. Coaches shall not place the value of winning
over the safety and welfare of players.
2. Coaches shall instruct players to play within the Laws of the Game and
within the spirit of the game at all times.
3. Coaches shall not seek unfair advantage by teaching unsporting behavior to
4. Coaches shall not encourage, condone, or tolerate inappropriate behavior
from players in any situation.
5. Coaches shall not encourage players to violate any Law of the Game or any
rule of competition established by MYSA.
6. Coaches shall not encourage, condone, or permit any player to violate any
bylaw, rule, or policy of MYSA or the applicable Member Organization.
7. Coaches shall not discourage, deter, or deny players the right of
advancement to participate in training or competition at a higher level.
8. Coaches shall direct players to seek proper medical attention for injuries
and to follow instructions received from health care professionals regarding
treatment and rehabilitation.
II - RESPONSIBILITY TO OPPONENTS
1. Coaches shall afford to opponents the respect
expected by the Law of Game and the spirit of MYSA competition.
2. Coaches shall not encourage, condone, or permit any player to engage in
conduct with the intent of causing injury to an opponent.
3. Coaches shall not engage in any physical or verbal confrontation with any
opposing player, coach, or supporter.
4. Coaches shall not scout an opponent except in sanctioned competition in
places open to the public.
III - RESPONSIBILITIES TO THE GAME
1. Coaches shall be aware of the Laws of the
Game and shall adhere to the letter and spirit of the Laws of the Game.
2. Coaches shall provide instruction to players on the meaning and application
of the Laws of the Game.
3. Coaches shall accept the responsibilities of team leadership and shall be
accountable for the conduct of the players, team officials, and spectators
affiliated with their teams.
IV - RESPONSIBILITY TO OFFICIALS
1. Coaches shall extend respect and courtesy to
match and competition officials.
2. Coaches shall not incite players, team officials, or spectators into conduct
towards officials that is contrary to the Laws of the Game.
3. Coaches shall not make demeaning or derogatory comments or gestures directed
towards any official.
4. Coaches shall use their influence and authority to deter inappropriate
conduct by supporters towards officials and opponents.
5. Coaches shall employ only methods authorized by the Laws of the Game, the
rules of the competition, or the policies of MYSA to pursue review of decisions
by match or competition officials.
V - RESPONSIBILITY TO MYSA AND MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS
1. Coaches shall comply with the rules,
policies, and procedures established by MYSA and the applicable Member Organization.
2. Coaches shall become aware of the rules, policies and procedures of MYSA and
the applicable Member Organization regarding player and team eligibility, team
formation, and recruiting.
3. Coaches shall refer disputes, appeals, and disciplinary reports to proper
authorities as designed by MYSA and the applicable Member Organization.
4. Coaches shall not encourage, condone, or permit any player, team official,
or surrogate to violate any bylaw, rule, or policy of MYSA or its Member
VI - RESPONSIBILITIES REGARDING RECRUITING
1. Coaches shall comply with rules and policies
pertaining to registration and player recruitment.
2. Coaches shall not engage in any recruiting activity at any event sponsored
by the Olympic Development Program (ODP).
3. Coaches shall not solicit or encourage the transfer of any player currently
registered to another Member Organization.
4. Coaches shall not knowingly misrepresent the potential benefits to a player
of becoming affiliated with a particular coach, team, or member organization.
5. Coaches shall not knowingly, recklessly, or negligently misrepresent or
defame programs associated with other coaches, teams, or member organizations.
6. Coaches shall not promise or provide any compensation to a player as an
inducement to register or play with a particular team or member organization.
7. Coaches shall cease and desist from any and all recruiting activity directed
toward a player upon request from the player or the player's legal guardian.
8. Coaches shall not allow any surrogate to engage in recruiting activities
prohibited by the Code of Coaching Ethics.
have read this Code of Coaching Ethics. I understand its requirements and agree
to abide by the letter and spirit of this Code of Coaching Ethics.
Coach's Name _________________________________________________ Team ____________________________________________
Coach's Signature _______________________________________________________ Date _____________________________________________________